Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A bunch of blogs, all smooshed together

Ah, I'm so bad at writing a blog.  I recently started working at this school, Meridian 22, which is a K-12 English IB school, in Mladost (which is a distract of Sofia- it means "Youth").  I guess it's volunteering, not really work, because I don't get paid.  It's... okay.  I went to a Kindergarten class, a 3rd grade and a 4th grade, I think.

Ah, the kids were so cute.  In one of the classes, they were talking about hair and eye colour, and so they would say (in full eastern european accent) "She has blonde hair, and brown eyes". 

And it is not blonde.  Maybe it's because I'm used to Norwegian blonds- very light, with pale skin.

Here, it's more ashy, dirty-blond.

And the little kids were so cute about it.

But it is interesting, because there is a distinct genetic group of "Bulgarians".  In fact, there are two groups, and most people have features that are a mix of them.  One of them is taller, has sort of, straight, long nose, and pale(r) hair, and blue eyes.  The other group is small- both shorter, and thinner, and darker.  They occasionally have the hooked nose I love so much.

In the US, no one here would stand out, in fact, I didn't notice the similarity until I realized that they were the only people I was seeing.  Except at conversation swap-

Conversation Swap is were a whole bunch of foreigners and Bulgarians get together to talk in different languages :) My Bulgarian is still not very good, so I spent most of mine talking with a Londoner about human nature.  So you know, what ever.  It was pretty rad :)

No comments: